Stylish and sporty, this new-for-’92 model boasts comfort and convenience in a package designed to emphasize fun for a whole group. The Chaparral 2200 SL feels a lot bigger than her actual 22’7″ length. thanks partly to the 8’6″ beam. It is also, however, a result of being surrounded by gunwales that don’t seem high from outside, yet provide an unusually secure feeling from inside.
The illusion of size in reinforced by more-than-ample seating in the bowrider area. It’s comfortable, too, with outstanding lumbar and back support. Even a big family won’t feel crowded on this boat. They won’t go hungry or thirsty either, because Chaparral 2200 SL included two built-in coolers and free-standing Igloo.
One of the built-ins is located conveniently in the lower part of the portside dash- the vertical portion has a lockable compartment that houses the stereo. The second built-in cooler is beneath the center section of the aft bench. Larger than the in-dush unit, this one is also removable to allow access to the engine.
A class by itself!
There are stowage compartments under the aft bench, on either side of the cooler, beneath the bow seats, under the gunwales, and on either side of the engine. Additionally, there’s a ski compartment beneath the cockpit sole.
The sunpad over the engine is in three sections. Either outboard section lifts independently for access to the stowage beneath. Lift the center and all three rise for maximum access. The ski compartment hatch is hinged on the port side so the skipper can reach down and open it with one hand. A spring stay keeps it open. All stowage areas are fully carpeted- even the ones beside the engine.
The Chaparral 2200 SL doesn’t just look good, she’s put together well, too. All hardware is 316 stainless and solidly mounted. Grabrails are elliptical, much easier to grab than the common round variety. Also, the rubrail is of poly-carbonate and rubber that can actually take some punishment without getting battlescars.
When it comes to performance the motor boat’s no slouch, either. Nimble and responsive, she also throws a fairly flat wake- a boon to skiing. In short, the Chaparral 2200 SL is set for all kinds of on-the-water fun. And, in a neat and cost-effective package to boot.
Technical Specification of Chaparral 2200 SL
- Base Price: $25,016
- Standard Power: MerCruiser 4.3L Alpha One
- Optional Power: MerCruiser 5.7L, or 7.4L
- Notable Standard Equipment: full wraparound safety glass windshield, carpeted ski stowage w/hinged lid, fold-down back-to-back lounge seats. Interior courtesy lights, integrated swim platform, w/boarding ladder. Also jump seats that convert to sundeck, full VOD instrumentation.
- Construction: bottom, deck, and sides hand-laid using mat skin coat. Woven roving, and plywood in strakes and reinforcement of deck hardware
- Deadrise at Transom: 16°
- Warranty: 5-year structural on hull
- Measurments: Loa: 22’7″ Beam: 8’6″ Draft: 19″
- Approx. Weight: 2,330 lbs.
- Freeboard: Fwd/Aft: 4’9″/2’8½
- Fuel/Water Capacity: 58 gal./0 gal.
- Options: sport interior w/rear seat, SLC Package (upscale graphics, tilt wheel, compas, depth finder). Cockpit/bow cover
- Propeller: 14×19 3-blade aluminum