The 1992 version of the Caravelle Elegante 2000 is one of the newest models in the Caravelle line-up. At our test rally, the day cruiser. with tri-tone gelcoat and matching stylish interior, turned out to be a smooth rider that planed quickly and effortlessly.
Available in either the sport version (with twin helm chairs, aft benchseat and full-beam engine cover/sunlongue) or traditional model. The Caravelle Elegante 2000 offers comfortable seating for up to eight adults. Forward, the bowrider area seats three, surrounded by dual stainless grabrails and a pair of drink holders. Standard equipment includes dry stowage under one settee, with an insulated ice box with over board drain under the other.
In the cockpit, it’s clear Caravelle has done plenty of thinking about ergonomics. When space is at premium the most common faults are a helm seat, that won’t slide back far enough or one that is too close to the outboard padding. Neither problem was in evidence here.
All you need is Powerboat
As you settle in at the wheel of the Caravelle Elegante 2000, you find plenty of room all around, which makes it easy to handle this boat whether you’re seated or standing. Well-placed engine instrumentation, symbol-coded dash switches (with breakers), plus a standard AM/FM stereo cassette deck round out the picture.
Back-to-back helm seats plus twin jump seats on either side of the engine box provide comfortable cockpit seating for six, and engine acces is particulary easy. When you pull the engine cover forward, the two side panels that separate the engine from stowage spaces come out as well and that completely exposes the engine on all sides. In addition, the backs of the jump seats can be raised up and locked into a horizontal position, creating a full-size sunlounge.
The Caravelle Elegante 2000 planes in one smooth, controllable motion, and the boat tracks well throughout the power range. I noted a highly responsive helm, and an impressive ability to run smoothly across two-foot chop. Also impressive were tight cornering and low-speed handling. To sum up, this is a versatile, attractive powerboat that’s as much at home with a crowd of sun worshipers as it is with a growing family.
Technical Specification of Caravelle Elegante 2000
- Base Price: N/A
- Standard Power: MerCruiser 4.3 Alpha One
- Optional Power: MerCruiser 5.7L Alpha One
- Notable Standard Equipment: curved windshield, AM/FM cassette stereo, convertible jump seats. Colored top, full instrumentation, stainless steel rails and hardware
- Construction: alternate layers of hand-laid materials (woven roving and Coremat). Full length floor stringers, all-encapsulated in fiberglass
- Deadrise at Transom: 13°
- Warranty: 5-year structural
- Measurments: Loa: 20’2″ Beam: 7’8″ Draft: 18″
- Approx. Weight: 2,650 lbs.
- Freeboard: Fwd/Aft: 2’3″/2’4″
- Fuel/Water Capacity: 31 gal./0 gal.
- Propeller: 19″ 3-blade aluminum prop