First thing you’ll notice about the 230 is her good looks. Celebrity puts a fine fit and finish to all components on the boat, starting most notable with thick, supportive cushions. The sunpad/engine hatch is plenty big enough for stretch-out sunning, and the undersides have mesh venting and drainage to keep mildew and rot at bay.
Helm seats are sturdy buckets with heavy-duty aluminum frames that adjust fore and aft. (But I’d like to see the seat moved aft about eight inches so I could stand without leaning back to keep my chest off the windshield.)
The 230 was definetely the biggest 23-footer at our test rally in terms of interior space. A minimum of three feet of freeboard provides a great feeling of security, especially with little kids on the boat. Plus, the solid Taylor-made curved-glass windshield and numerous hand rails provide many opportunities for guests to steady themselves.
The motor boat you need
Of course, roomy boat is that there are many stowage areas available. All of them on this motor boat- two forward, two under the sole, one in the benchseat, plus the spare space in the engine compartment- are carpeted. There’s also inwale stowage in shallow, long shelves under the padded sideboards.
This Celebrity 230 is solid from the gull up, and you can feel it as she plows through chop without punding. Hull thickness averages ½ inch, with as much as three inches of solid fiberglass at the keel.
The hull is reinforced with an H-type system of encapsulated fir stringers, with all voids filled with foam floatation. Celebrity backs it all with a three-year hull and deck warranty.
Other standard amenities include a bifold acrylic and wood door under the walk-through windshield that closes off the bow. This helps keep the wind (and noise, too) to a minimum in the cockpit. VDO gauges and four-speaker Audiovox cassette stereo add style, while teak hatch covers in the deck stowage compartment add a touch of class. A tilt steering wheel controls the 5.7L Alpha One stern drive.
If I were in the market for a roomy, fast, safe, and well-built family boat, I’d be looking at the Celebrity 230. If you are, better bring your checkbook.
- Base Price: N/A
- Standard Power: MerCruiser 4.3L Alpha One
- Optional Power: MerCruiser 5.7L Alpha One
- Notable Standard Equipment: heavy-duty vinyl upholstery, full fiberglass liner in bow, adjustable back-to-back sleeper seats w/stowage. Bow drink holders, cockpit courtesy lights, AM/FM cassette stereo, full instrumentation, anodized aluminum rubrail. Convertible top w/boot and hideaway stowage.
- Construction: Uniglas fiber/hand-laid roing construction; resin-coated stringers; Hydro-flow deck.
- Deadrise at Transom: 18°
- Warranty: 1-year entire boat, 3 years hull and deck
- Measurments: Loa: 23’1″ Beam: 8’0″ Draft: 15″
- Approx. Weight: 3,600 lbs.
- Fuel/Water Capacity: 55 gal./0 gal.
- Propeller: N/A